How to Explode or Print Component Items of a Kit in Sage 100
In Item Maintenance, an item with the Product Type of Kit has the Explode Kit Items selection available on the Additional tab. The choices are: Prompt, Always, or Never.
Exploding a sales kit determines how the sale will be recorded in inventory and the level of detail that will print on Sales Orders and Sales Order Invoices. The selection at the Explode Kit Items field will determine whether inventory is relieved of individual components instead of the assembled parent (kit) item. Only exploded Kits will print component details on Sales Orders and Sales Order Invoices based on the Print Detail option selected in Sales Kit Maintenance or Bill of Materials Maintenance.
If Prompt is selected, when the kit item is selected on the Lines tab of Sales Order Entry or Sales Order Invoice Data Entry, the system will prompt with “The quantity in this warehouse is xxx.
- Click Yes to order this as a kit from stock.
- Click No to explode the lines to order by component.
- The user then has the choice of “Yes” to relieve the parent (kit) item, or “No” to relieve the components from inventory instead.
- After the quantity ordered is entered, the components will be “exploded” on the screen.
With Always or Never, the user entering the order or invoice will not be prompted with a choice.
- When Always is selected, the system will always “explode” to relieve components.
- When Never is selected, the system will order the assembled kit item from stock and relieve only the Parent kit item from inventory.
If using Sales Kits in Inventory, then the Print Detail checkbox in I/M Sales Kit Maintenance will determine whether the particular sales kit’s components will be printed on the sales order or invoice. Clear the check box if printing of component line detail is not desired.
If using Kit bills created in the Bill of Materials module, then the Print Components check box in Bill of Materials Maintenance will determine whether the particular kit bill’s components will be printed on the sales order or invoice. Clear the check box if printing of component line detail is not desired.
If using Kit bills created in the Bill of Materials module, in order for the Kit to explode in Sales Order Entry, there must be at least one line item in Bill of Materials Maintenance for the parent Kit item. It can be a valid Item Code or a “/C” type Comment.