How to Backup and Restore Company Database in Sage 300
For creating backups of company or system databases, creating copies of companies, or preparing data to submit to customer support for review of a technical issue, Sage 300 ERP’s Database Load and Database Dump functions are very useful.
Provided below are steps to backup and restore your database.
Note: No other users can log into Sage 300 ERP while these utilities are in use.
Using the Database Dump Utility (Backup):
- Click the Start button, highlight Programs, then Sage 300 ERP, Tools, and click Database Dump.
- Type the password for the Admin user in Sage 300 ERP, then click the OK button.
- Click to highlight the database that you want to Dump.
Click the Set Directory button to enter the location where you want to save the files. Database Dump creates a control file with filename extension .DCT in the folder you specify, and puts the actual extracted data in a subfolder of the same name as the DCT. The default location of the folder is . . .\Sage Accpac\Runtime. The name of the control file is the database ID with the .DCT extension.
- Click OK. You return to the Dump Sage 300 ERP Data screen.
- Click the Dump button to proceed. A confirmation message will appear
- Click OK to continue.
- A Dataset Description screen will display in which an optional description of the database may be entered.. Enter a description, then click Done.
- A summary message will then display. Click OK., this will return to the Dump Sage 300 ERP Data screen.
- Click Close to end the session.
Note: When storing extracted data you must retain both the control file and its associated folder.
Using the Database Load Utility (Restore):
Database Load takes a dataset (extracted data) and loads it into a Sage Accpac ERP database. Any data already in the database will be deleted. Take the following steps to load sample data:
- Click the Start button, highlight Programs, then Sage 300 ERP, Tools, and click Database Load.
- Enter the password for the Admin user, then click OK. The Datasets window lists the Sage 300 ERP datasets available for loading.
- Click the Set Directory button to select the directory for the datasets that you want to restore if they dont appear in this window.
- Click the Details button if you want further information about a highlighted dataset. The load utility will allow you to select, in turn, each of the databases you want to load.
- Click Next. The next window lists the databases existing on your system.
- Highlight the target database that you want to load into, then click Next.
- Make sure you select the correct database. The Load will delete all existing tables in the database you select and replace all existing data.
- Click Next to load another dataset. After you have selected as many datasets as you wish for this load, the Load Data window reappears, displaying the databases ready to be loaded.
- Click Finish to load the data. If the target database already contains data, a warning message will appear.If you are loading more than one dataset, this message appears for each set that already contains data.
- Click OK when you have checked that you are loading the data into the correct location.
- Click Next to load more datasets into other databases, or click Cancel to end this session.
Note: Refer to Appendix J within the System Manager Administrator Guide for more information.
If necessary, seek the assistance of Acute Data Systems to help provide assistance with this process.