The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this Software? or Open File - Security Warning when accessing Sage 100 or accessing a task window
Error: “The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this Software?” or “Open File – Security Warning” when accessing Sage 100 or accessing a task window in Sage 100
Note: The program listed will be for “..\MAS90\Home\pvxwin32.exe” or “..\MAS90\Launcher\launcher32.exe”.
For Sage 100 2021 or later with 64-bit installation choice, the program will be pvxwin64.exe instead of pvxwin32.exe.
This solution requires advanced knowledge of your computer’s operating system. Contact your system administrator for assistance. Modifying your Windows Registry incorrectly can severely affect system operations. Sage is not responsible for operation issues caused by incorrectly modifying your Windows Registry. Always create a backup of your data before proceeding with advanced solutions.
This is the result of Microsoft trying to protect users from malicious programs. The message will appear for any shortcut or executable that is hosted on a network share.
If the issue is happening on the server itself then this can be because when you download files from the internet windows appends a “Zone Identifier” alternate data stream (supported in NTFS) to each file. If it’s an archive, then when you expand it each file within will also have the identified appended.
Possible Resolution 1:
Set Internet Options, Security:
- From the Control Panel select Internet Options and then the security tab.
- In the Zone to view area, select “Local Intranet” as shown above, and click on the Sites button.
- On the sites setting page (called Local intranet) click on the advanced button.
- Enter the name of the server or computer where the Sage 100 files being run are actually stored (I.E. \\<servername>\<sharename>)
- Press the Add button
- Click the Close button
- Click OK, on the rest of the dialogs to get out of the settings for Internet Explorer.
If still getting prompted with “publisher cannot be verified” check the following Setting under Internet Options – Security – Local Intranet Zone (Custom Level) – User Authentication – Logon – if set to “Atomatic logon only in Intranet Zone” you may be able to change to “Automatic Logon with current user name and password” for User Authentication – Logon to resolve the message.
Possible Resolution 2:
Set Sage 100 shortcut Compatibility:
- Right-click the shortcut used to launch Sage 100 from the workstation
- Select Properties
- Access the Compatibility tab
- Under Privilege Level, select (check) the Run this program as an administrator check box option
- Click OK
Note: When applied and saved, then the next time you run these files you should not receive the “Open File – Security Warning” message.
If happening on the Sage 100 server where the PVXWIN32.EXE file is stored, then check the file Properties for the PVXWIN32.EXE (or file mentioned in the message).
If the properties window displays under Security section of General tab: “This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer”, then you may be able to select the Unblock button to stop the warning message from appearing.
Microsoft also has a STREAMS utility to clear the embedded information, see Additional Information.